Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Mirror in Our Bathroom: A Poem

I am not good at

Cleaning the mirror in our bathroom.

It ends up with an all-over smudge

Foggy

A film covering over

Where the dots of toothpaste

Used to be.


The first time it happened

I was annoyed:

Here I had scrubbed and rubbed

And made it worse!

Injustice reigns!


The second time 

I asked for help:

My law professor husband Tim

Knows how to clean things.

Windex, a new cloth

Multiple times

Get rid of the soap.


The third time

Trying to remember

The trick

Maybe it’s better?

The next day the sun shines in 

And I see the fog

My face in the mirror 

Is grayer than 

My almost 50 years warrant.


This time it is funny.

Funny like the arguments

Between Tim and me

He carries the kitchen towel

Around on his shoulder while cooking

I like it hung up for all to use

He trips over my shoes

Which I forget again and leave in his way

The first few times

We are irritated

Heat rising

After that it is funny.  

People are so ridiculous

In their ways 

And so difficult to change.


The mirror laughs with me

Through its fog.


I’d rather have the blotches

Of old toothpaste

Than the fog.  

At least then

I can see my 

Reflection

And know who I am

No need to clean

Or to fix,

Only

To laugh and to celebrate

This imperfect

Self 

And all its blotches.


1 comment: