Thursday, April 15, 2021

A Poem About My Relationship to the Shoah

Written in loving memory of my father, Moshe Shmuel ben Shimon Tuvia haLevi, z"l, and for the sake of the healing of all those who suffered and of all those who continue to suffer. 

I don’t want to write this poem

Because I don’t want to call up the images

And feel the feelings

Because I don’t want to read the poem myself.


And yet i am compelled

By loyalty to the past, to my people and her pains

By duty, heavy and unshakable


And also by some slim hope

That in the expression there will be relief

For me and maybe for you

Maybe there will be some recognition

Of the pain that continues inside us unabated.


When I walk up Arborvista

A street bursting with life and trees

Playing children and chirping birds

My feet sometimes remember other walks

A march in the frozen Poland countryside

Kicked along by the harshest of guns and soldiers

Near starving in thin prisoner uniforms

And misfit boots with holes if there are any at all

Death all around and in my heart

And worse than death -- dread and hopelessness

And empty horizons with no escape.


Or at dinner in our lovely comfortable home

No real worries at this sturdy chestnut table

My children healthy, laughing, singing, teasing

Easy and confident in their life flow

Around us plentiful bright colored bounty 

Me imagining the meager bread of the ghetto

Saving up a little sugar for a cake

The little ones on the corners with hollow eyes

Anne Frank’s family dividing up potatoes 

Lying in bed hungry

The dreams of the camp inmates 

Who remember, too, at night, the bounty that was

From amidst the terror of today

A reminder for me that today

Could also become a terror

Past and present and future combine

In my stomach to sinking dreading

Knowing only sorrow and hopelessness.


I could go on because it does go on

Endlessly inside me

Some days more, some days less

Sometimes triggered by the mention of

Germany, Poland, prison, even camp or train --

My mind goes easily to the cattle cars

The people starving and stuffed together

And mostly the feeling inside of no hope

Piles of shoes or showers or bars of soap

Can sicken me

Barking dogs outside send panic through my veins

I am suddenly not here but in danger

A trip to the mikvah I heard once a story

I can’t remember the details

But the feeling is left

Vulnerable and attacked

Bloodied in the ritual bath.


Or sometimes there is no trigger

Just the story comes unbidden

Like an alarm awaking me to know and remember

And not forget

My uncle’s brother going up a second time

For slop in Auschwitz

On his first day

And the punishment that came

For all to witness 

I won’t write it it hurts too much

Or the story of his father being danced upon

I have my own image of firing rifles on the ground

A prisoner of only bones being made to dance

Through the bullets as they laugh.


Or my cousin Lala standing for hours

In the heat at attention by some cruel 

Ghetto despot inspecting rows of Jews.


When I was six they showed us images

In school.  My teacher said

Know that this can happen here

I understood I was not safe

Never safe anywhere


Never again, they said, 

But i heard only never forget.

Zachor Remember Stay with it

Words forged into childhood minds

With the picture of a boy, hands raised.


At home I breathed 

The pain inside my father

Knew though he spoke of it little

The suffering child in him

Lost in a world with no ground


I used to believe with all my might

That if I put my toothpaste on just right

Arranging the brush and paste just so to align

Then this would never come again


The weight so heavy and as I grew

It turned to avenues that seem more logical

On the surface 

Care about other refugees 

Which I don’t do enough

Learn Torah

Do some redeeming work 

Earn this life and its continuing 

If not -- and it is always not

Enough -- then yes, the world will head

Again toward destruction 

It already is for others whom you have not saved.


My therapist says it is a part

A part of me that imagines and knows

And despairs and that this part

Is very very young and cannot hold

These truths.   We work with her, 

This little girl 

And find her deep in the dark dungeon 

Of my being.  She is sitting cross legged

On the floor, head down

Surrounded by a circle of guarding Nazis.

My therapist says to get her out of there

But she won’t come.  

She needs no guards.  

She stays of her own volition:

Someone has to carry the weight.


We stay with her in that circle

And find out more.

She starts to cry 

And I can feel very clearly now

As clear as the light that shines not in this circle

That there is only one force that can help her

Only one force that has the power

To remove her from these torments

Trite it seems but I, my whole soul screams it

LOVE.  Only love can bring her out.

Even now I feel the shaking truth of it

She comes out into the sun

And sits trembling in an open field

Recovering and healing.


The memories and images are still there

And they return as they must

My ancestors weigh on my shoulders

And they, too, need love and sunshine

Some days I imagine taking them by the hand

Into that wide open field and dancing in a circle with them

But they --

They are not ready.   


I pray and pray and sometimes I get

A small inkling of a presence,

An angel just above my head

A swirling circle of light that can hold the evil

I see the terrifying images trying to kick out at the edges

Of the circle, but they make no dent

The light, the love holds firm.   


I hesitate to end here 

As if all is resolved

When it is not. 

Please God helps us to hold the pain


No comments:

Post a Comment